pushto call

Fireworks Are Dangerous For Your Pet

 

If you thought it would be harmless to mix pets and fireworks, think again! All fireworks should be kept at a safe distance from curious and unsuspecting pets. Anything from small smoke bombs and sparklers to large aerial displays has the potential to cause severe burns. The face, mouth, and paws are the most common places pets get burned by fireworks. Furthermore, fireworks can also contain heavy metals that are used as coloring agents and may cause poisoning if ingested. Symptoms of heavy metal / fireworks poisoning include vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, jaundice, tremors, and seizures.


If your pet may have ingested fireworks, immediate examination by a veterinarian is recommended. Do not induce vomiting at home as it can cause severe burns, especially in the mouth and upper gastrointestinal tract. While the prognosis is good in many cases involving the ingestion of small fireworks and minor burns, it is is less good in cases where the pet has ingested several fireworks. This is due to liver and nerve damage.


As you enjoy your holiday, remember to use common sense, and always put safety first for all family members.